Saturday 20 July 2013

Day 365: Eating Poetry


Well whaddya know? Day 365: Today, it is a year exactly since I've started this blog!

Since then I haven't missed a day posting a poem. I said I was going to do it for a year when I started out, but I think I'll keep it going longer. Why not? There are so many more poems to post! And I enjoy doing it. Immensely. And people enjoy reading it. 

It's never been a duty, I've never felt like 'I have to post'. It's been a pure pleasure. For poetry is always a pleasure - it centres me, brings me back to what matters, quietens the blabber of thoughts in my mind and brings the bigger picture of life into big and bright perspective once again. This blog has often been a consolation and a comfort for me, as well as motivation, inspiration, an oasis of calm and a mode of understanding, and I can only hope that it has been this and more for others as well.

So thank you dedicated readers and followers. Thank you new visitors. Thank you to all those who have so kindly and thoughtfully left comments and suggestions. Thank you, poetry in general, for being a constant light and beacon.

Here's to 'eating' more  ~


Eating Poetry - Mark Strand

Ink runs from the corners of my mouth.
There is no happiness like mine.
I have been eating poetry.

The librarian does not believe what she sees.
Her eyes are sad
and she walks with her hands in her dress.

The poems are gone.
The light is dim.
The dogs are on the basement stairs and coming up.

Their eyeballs roll,
their blond legs burn like brush.
The poor librarian begins to stamp her feet and weep.

She does not understand.
When I get on my knees and lick her hand,
she screams.

I am a new man,
I snarl at her and bark,
I romp with joy in the bookish dark. 

2 comments:

  1. I am an avid reader of this blog (as well your other one), and am so glad that you're continuing with the project. I've found so many lovely poems here, and bought several new poetry collections because my interest has been piqued by a poem you've selected.

    I've read this one before, but it's glorious to read again. If there's anything that describes a poet's (or writer's) life, it must be that last line: 'I romp with joy in the bookish dark'.

    Here's to many more posts!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl, it's great to have feedback from readers! There are just too many great poems out there to not share!

      Yes, that last line describes it perfectly! :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!