Tuesday 4 November 2014

Day 838: Hello November

 

November is such a maligned month isn't it? The bringer of dark and cold.  As Longfellow says of it here, 'I shroud myself in gloom; and to the race of mortals bring nor comfort nor delight.'  This is a feeling that is reflected in a lot of poems about November which I will be sharing here this month. But, some of them shimmer with a little of the month's magic too: starry nights, bright moons, first snows.  Stay tuned for a seasonal synopsis.


November (from The Poet's Calendar) - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
 
The Centaur, Sagittarius, am I,
  Born of Ixion's and the cloud's embrace;
With sounding hoofs across the earth I fly,
  A steed Thessalian with a human face.
Sharp winds the arrows are with which I chase
  The leaves, half dead already with affright;
I shroud myself in gloom; and to the race
  Of mortals bring nor comfort nor delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!