Thursday 13 November 2014

Day 847: Rainy Day Rescue


Oh yes, I have to say, I've had many of these days! (Today is one of them.) I love this poem, not just the subject matter of reading, but the simplicity of the language used, the factual surety, the calm sweeping certainty and delivery of it (just look at that last line).

But this poem is not just about reading. It is saying in Carver's signature direct voice -  do what you want to do, what you feel like doing and to hell with it. Be okay with it, don't question it, own it.

Okay, then.


Rain - Raymond Carver

Woke up this morning with
a terrific urge to lie in bed all day
and read. Fought against it for a minute.

Then looked out the window at the rain.
And gave over. Put myself entirely
in the keep of this rainy morning.

Would I live my life over again?
Make the same unforgiveable mistakes?
Yes, given half a chance. Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!