Wednesday 16 August 2017

August Rain

 Image result for august rain


August Rain, after Haying - Jane Kenyon

Through sere trees and beheaded
grasses the slow rain falls.
Hay fills the barn; only the rake
and one empty wagon are left
in the field. In the ditches
goldenrod bends to the ground.

Even at noon the house is dark.
In my room under the eaves
I hear the steady benevolence
of water washing dust
raised by the haying
from porch and car and garden
and purified, as if tonsured.

The grass resolves to grow again,
receiving the rain to that end,
but my disordered soul thirsts
after something it cannot name.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your poem. Well done. I like the rain, it replenishes life.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is merely
    my choice of poem - the poet is Jane Kenyon, as you can see from above.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!