Wednesday 13 March 2019

Forest

Image result for forestry commission carol ann duffy
This new poem from Carol Ann Duffy celebrates trees. Read more about it here
Forest - Carol Ann Duffy
In fact, the trees are murmuring under your feet,
a buried empathy; you tread it.
                                                  High over your head,
the canopy sieves light; a conversation
you lip-read. The forest
                                       keeps different time;
slow hours as long as your life,
so you feel human.
So you feel more human; persuaded what you are
by wordless breath of wood, reason in resin.
You might name them-
                                     oak, ash, holly, beech, elm-
but the giants are silence alive, superior,
and now you are all instinct;
swinging the small lamp of your heart
as you venture their world:
the green, shadowy, garlic air
                                                 your ancestors breathed.
Ah, you thought love human
till you lost yourself in the forest,
but it is more strange.
                                    These grave and patient saints
who pray and pray
and suffer your little embrace.
 

3 comments:

  1. My favourite moments: "the canopy sieves light" "garlic air" "grave and patient saints" ... A beautiful poem, and many fine poems at the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that first phrase too. And 'swinging the small lamp of your heart'...Every line a stepping stone to a revelation. It's a fantastic poem and project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg I Finally Got Helped  !! I'm So excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I Cheated on My Wife with another woman  and my wife left me for over 4months after She found out..  I was lonely, sad and devastated luckily I was directed to a Very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a Spell of reconciliation on Our Relationship and he brought back my lover and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact  Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!