Friday 22 November 2013

Day 490: Remembering JFK

Baltimore magazine

'If more politicians knew poetry, and more poets knew politics, I am convinced the world would be a better place to in which to live.' - JKF, Address Harvard 1956 

Today is the 50th anniversary of the assassination of JFK. And by chance, I came across this poem yesterday that mentions it. It illustrates simply how an extraordinary man can touch an ordinary life. 


Leo Minor (from The Whole of the Sky) - Simon Armitage

When pictures came through
of the world's first authentically green cat,
I was out of touch, watching
in black and white on a rented set.

I thought of my mother at home
the day Kennedy was shot,
in rubber gloves, crying real tears
into the washing-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!