Monday 2 July 2012

Day 11: Orange


Poetry is renowned for celebrating the small things. For making the ordinary extraordinary. For offering a zoomed-up view of these little accessories that make up our lives, and placing them into the high sphere of exultation, away from our lowly taken-for-granted quarters.

Apart from poetry, the only other state which offers such acute appreciation is love. When we are in love, the world sings to us. We notice everything. Feel the air on our faces, the swing in our step, and every little prop - such as an orange  - becomes an object of such contemplation, a proof proper of our blissed up state, a catalyst that leads to the existential exclamation of 'I'm glad I exist.'

Yes, love does make poets of us all. And poetry?  Poetry, makes lovers out of us all. Opens our eyes to the beauty of this world.

Wendy Cope is a tremendously funny poet, whose poems are simple lyrics underpinned with a blasé sarcasm and wit usually attacking men and relationships. But when she is in love, she's in love. Here's a wonderful lyric from her in such a state. 

A perfect citrusy bright poem for a Monday, enjoy!


The Orange - Wendy Cope

At lunchtime I bought a huge orange
The size of it made us all laugh.
I peeled it and shared it with Robert and Dave—
They got quarters and I had a half.
And that orange it made me so happy,
As ordinary things often do
Just lately. The shopping. A walk in the park
This is peace and contentment. It's new.
The rest of the day was quite easy.
I did all my jobs on my list
And enjoyed them and had some time over.
I love you. I'm glad I exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!