Wednesday 18 July 2012

Day 27: Indifference


Sometimes our world seems a very indifferent one. Days go by in a blur of sameness. Things don't seem to matter. 

But they do. Poetry reminds us of this. And this poem by Wallace Stevens reminds us that beneath the veneer of indifference in some people, passion still beats. And it's not something that should be hidden.


Gray Room - Wallace Stevens  
 
Although you sit in a room that is gray,
Except for the silver
Of the straw-paper,
And pick
At your pale white gown;
Or lift one of the green beads
Of your necklace,
To let it fall;
Or gaze at your green fan
Printed with the red branches of a red willow;
Or, with one finger,
Move the leaf in the bowl--
The leaf that has fallen from the branches of the forsythia
Beside you...
What is all this?
I know how furiously your heart is beating.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Siobhán! This is beautiful. I remember studying Wallace Stevens in high school and college. I haven't read his poetry in a while though. I'll have to leaf through some of my poetry collections.

    My favorite classic poets are John Greenleaf Whittier and Alfred Tennyson. I have first editions of their complete poetry! It gives me chills of delight holding such old books of poetry in my hands. :)

    You might like this post I did on book titles and poetry in May: http://lauramarcella.blogspot.com/2012/05/poetic-book-titles.html

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and I hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice to hear from a fellow blogger! Wallace Stevens is most definitely one of the 'coolest' poets around I think. Lucky you, got to study him!

    I'm not so fond of the classic poets.... but Tennyson is very good. How great to have 1st editions!

    I will certainly check out that post - thanks!

    And thanks for stopping by here! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!