Tuesday 4 February 2014

Day 563: Swallows



I love swallows, don't you?  The way they fly, flicker and flutter across the sky, their distinctive v-shaped tails gone before you can say 'wow what was that!' And I like how this poem entwines its subject matter with its emotional theme.


Swallows - Kathleen Jamie

I wish my whole battened
heart were a property
like this, with swallows
in every room - so at ease

they twitter and preen
from the picture frames
like an audience in the gods
before an opera

and in the mornings
wheel above my bed
in a mockery of pity
before winging it

up the stairwell
to stream out into light

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!