Friday 16 May 2014

Day 665: Love is a Fool Star


Well I'm reading 'Love in the Time of Cholera' (by Gabriel Garcia Marquez) right now and this poem just seems to fit exactly the throes of unrequited loved described therein. What a terrible thing it is, with unnecessary suffering and consequences. Makes love seem a fool alright.



Offering and Rebuff - Carl Sandburg

I could love you
as dry roots love rain.
I could hold you
as branches in the wind
brandish petals.
Forgive me for speaking so soon.

    Let your heart look
    on white sea spray
    and be lonely.

    Love is a fool star.

    You and a ring of stars
    may mention my name
    and then forget me.

    Love is a fool star.


1 comment:

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!