Saturday 15 September 2012

Day 85: Drunk


Drunk and disorderly and delirious and delighted. (Hiccup).

Finally a poem that captures that tipsy teetering feeling exactly. (Although the last time I was drunk - the moon didn't just wobble - there were two moons in the sky...)

But it also describes intoxication of a different kind. That kind where you're high on inspiration and enthusiasm  - 'and the whole world a mouth', the whole world for the taking and you wanting more and more, head-over-heels in love with life -  'give me a double, a kiss.'


Drunk - Carol Ann Duffy 

Suddenly the rain is hilarious.
The moon wobbled in the dusk.

What a laugh. Unseen frogs
belch in the damp grass.

The strange perfumes of darkening trees.
Cheap red wine

and the whole world a mouth.
Give me a double, a kiss.

2 comments:

  1. I love, love, LOVE Carol Ann Duffy (I saw her at a reading last year and I was beyond giddy) but I have somehow never come across this poem before. I love it...it feels lilting and slightly hazy, the way things do when you're drunk, but it also has this lovely sense of clarity and belonging too - sometimes, after a glass of wine or two, I feel so alive and involved...thiscaptures both sides of that beautifully.

    Another wonderful choice for poem of the day! xxx

    PS: I keep meaning to ask - do you post your own writing anywhere? I mean, other than your blogs on here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cheryl! Yes, she's one of my favourite poets I must say. And you're right - this poem does have a sense of belonging to it.

    I post some of my poems on A Blog of One's Own. And I post little snippets on OneWord - which if you haven't already checked it out - do! It's quite inspiring: www.oneword.com
    Other than that, it's all offline!

    How about you? I do love your writing style! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!