Wednesday 1 August 2012

Day 40: Fireworks


Can hate be a sign of love? Of course.  

The term 'sparks flying' refers to attraction of course, but maybe these sparks sometimes disguise themselves as anger. Like in this poem from Amy Lowell, where the two people featured can't seem to stand each other -  but, everyone knows indifference is the opposite of love, while hate is its defensive flip side.

This seems like a pretty accurate description of concealed sparks of passion rather than anger to me: 'But whenever I see you, I burst apart/And scatter the sky with my blazing heart. /In spits and sparkles in stars and balls,/Buds into roses and flares, and falls.'

I just love the description of fireworks in this poem! Both the literal and emotional ones. Explosive indeed and mesmerisingly beautiful. The closest thing to seeing a real fireworks display!


Fireworks - Amy Lowell

You hate me and I hate you,
And we are so polite, we two!

But whenever I see you, I burst apart
And scatter the sky with my blazing heart.
In spits and sparkles in stars and balls,
Buds into roses and flares, and falls.

Scarlet buttons, and pale green disks,
Silver spirals and asterisks,
Shoot and tremble in a mist
Peppered with mauve and amethyst.

I shine in the window and light up the trees,
And all because I hate you, if you please.

And when you meet me, you rend asunder
And go up in a flaming wonder
Of saffron cubes, and crimson moons,
And wheels all amaranths and maroons.

Golden lozenges and spades,
Arrows of malachites and jades,
Patens of copper, azure sheaves.
As you mount, you flash in the glossy leaves.

Such fireworks as we make, we two!
Because you hate me and I hate you.

4 comments:

  1. Great imagery in this poem - imagery like this defintely could not come from hate! -B

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I was thinking - definitely couldn't come from hate, no way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was wondering if there are any puns in this poem? And this truly is an amazing poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do You Need Finance? Are You Looking For Finance? Are You Looking For Finance To Enlarge Your Business? We Help Individuals And Companies To Obtain Finance For Business Expanding And To Setup A New Business Ranging Any Amount. Get Finance At Affordable Interest Rate Of 3%, Do You Need This Finance For Business And To Clear Your Bills? Then Send Us An Email Now For More Information Contact Us Now Via Financialserviceoffer876@Gmail.Com Whats-App +918929509036 Dr James Eric Finance Pvt Ltd Thank

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!