Friday 21 September 2012

Day 91: Selfless Love


This poem you may recognise. I always thought it was a quote, but no, it is a poem. Written by the Persian mystic poet Hafiz in the 14th century, and still going strong today. 

Maybe it's the endearing simplicity of it: the simple telling of an essential truth, the simple illustration of a grand type of love we should all aspire to. 


The Sun Never Says - Hafiz

Even
After
All this time
The sun never says to the earth

"You owe me."

Look
What happens
With a love like that,
It lights
The whole sky.

2 comments:

  1. I would comment but this is so beautiful that I'm speechless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! And while reading, the reader too gets 'light up' like the whole sky in the glow of its sentiments. Well I did anyway!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!