Thursday 1 August 2013

Day 377: August


August - already! I always think of it as a yellow month, dark ochre to be exact, like sunflowers, full of - as Longfellow puts it - 'golden harvests.'


August (from The Poet's Calendar) - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

The Emperor Octavian, called the August,
  I being his favourite, bestowed his name
Upon me, and I hold it still in trust,
  In memory of him and of his fame.
I am the Virgin, and my vestal flame
  Burns less intensely than the Lion's rage;
Sheaves are my only garlands, and I claim
  The golden Harvests as my heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!