Sunday 11 August 2013

Day 387: Morning Song


Morning is always a sort of shock to the system. When we awake from 'the starless waters of sleep' into the light of the day, we are disorientated and maybe for a split-second, in our most existential mode of the day: Who am I? Where am I? What to do for the day? Does what I do matter? I want to matter. I want to make this day count. What is this world I'm in? I love this world I'm in.  

What I love about this time of day is that the world is alive with newness and possibilities. So many things to do today, so many things that could be done!
  
I think we all carry these sentiments with us, beneath the sometimes hectic hustle and bustle of course. Wouldn't this be a great way of starting the day? -


 Morning Song of Senlin- Conrad Aiken
 
 It is morning, Senlin says, and in the morning
 When the light drips through the shutters like the dew,
 I arise, I face the sunrise,
 And do the things my father learned to do.
 Stars in the purple dusk above the rooftops
 Pale in the saffron mist and seem to die
 And I myself upon a swiftly tilting planet
 Stand before a glass and tie my tie,

 Vine leaves tap my window,
 Dew-drops sing to the garden stones,
 The robin chirps in the chinaberry tree
 Repeating three clear tones.

 It is morning. I stand by the mirror
 And tie my tie once more.
 While waves far off in a pale rose twilight
 Crash on a white sand shore.
 I stand by a mirror and comb my hair:
 How small and white my face! -
 The green earth tilts through a sphere of air
 And bathes in a flame of space.
 There are houses hanging above the stars
 And stars hung under a sea...
 And a sun far off in a shell of silence
 Dapples my walls for me...

 It is morning, Senlin says, and in the morning
 Should I not pause in the light to remember god?
 Upright and firm I stand on a star unstable,
 He is immense and lonely as a cloud.
 I will dedicate this moment before my mirror
 To him alone, for him I will comb my hair.
 Accept these humble offerings, cloud of silence!
 I will think of you as I descend the star.

 Vine leaves tap my window,
 The snail track shines on the stones.
 Dew-drops flash from the chinaberry tree
 Repeating two clear tones.

 It is morning, I awake from a cloud of silence,
 Shining I rise from the starless waters of sleep.
 The walls are about me still as in the evening,
 I am the same, and the same name still I keep.

 The earth revolves around with me, yet makes no motion,
 The stars pale silently in a coral sky.
 In a whistling void I stand before my mirror,
 Unconcerned, and tie my tie.

 There are horses neighing on far-off hills
 Tossing their long white manes,
 And mountains flash in the rose-white dusk,
 Their shoulders black with the rains...
 It is morning. I stand by the mirror
 And surprise my soul once more;
 The blue air rushes above my ceiling,
 There are suns beneath my floor...

   ... it is morning, Senlin says, I ascend from darkness
 And depart on the winds of space for I know not where,
 My watch is wound, a key is in my pocket,
 And the sky is darkened as I descend the stair.
 There are shadows across the windows, clouds in heaven,
 And a god among the stars; and I will go
 Thinking of him as I might think of daybreak
 And humming a tune I know...

 Vine-leaves tap at the window,
 Dew-drops sing to the garden stones,
 The robin chirps in the chinaberry tree
 Repeating three clear tones.
 

3 comments:


  1. I love this...so pure and clear and beautiful.

    'Flame of space' is just breathtaking...and 'I stand on a star unstable' was one of those rock-back-on-a-heel moments - something that makes you realise how small you are and how infinite and grand the universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes some lovely lines in it! Very cosmic!

      Delete
  2. Do You Need Finance? Are You Looking For Finance? Are You Looking For Finance To Enlarge Your Business? We Help Individuals And Companies To Obtain Finance For Business Expanding And To Setup A New Business Ranging Any Amount. Get Finance At Affordable Interest Rate Of 3%, Do You Need This Finance For Business And To Clear Your Bills? Then Send Us An Email Now For More Information Contact Us Now Via Financialserviceoffer876@Gmail.Com Whats-App +918929509036 Dr James Eric Finance Pvt Ltd Thank

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!