Wednesday 7 August 2013

Day 383: Life is Fine!

 

After the initial sorrow that comes with heartbreak, there is almost anger, a fierce willingness to not be beat down by it, a feisty refusal. And if there's one thing I admire it's feistiness!

Forget all the sad laments of heartbreak poems, here's a I'll-be-damned-if-you-gonna-beat-me-down riposte from Langston Hughes:


Life is Fine - Langston Hughes

I went down to the river,
I set down on the bank.
I tried to think but couldn't,
So I jumped in and sank.

I came up once and hollered!
I came up twice and cried!
If that water hadn't a-been so cold
I might've sunk and died.

But it was Cold in that water! It was cold!

I took the elevator
Sixteen floors above the ground.
I thought about my baby
And thought I would jump down.

I stood there and I hollered!
I stood there and I cried!
If it hadn't a-been so high
I might've jumped and died.

But it was High up there! It was high!

So since I'm still here livin',
I guess I will live on.
I could've died for love-
But for livin' I was born

Though you may hear me holler,
And you may see me cry-
I'll be dogged, sweet baby,
If you gonna see me die.

Life is fine! Fine as wine! Life is fine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!