Tuesday 1 October 2013

Day 438: October


The first of a new month always takes everyone by surprise, another reminder of how fast time is flying by. But it also is a nice surprise, a fresh start, a beginning, with infinite new chances to reap.  

And a favourite month of many, October, the highpoint of autumnn, with its 'garments of leaves,/woven like cloth of gold.' Here's Longfellow with his observant take on the month (the full poem detailing all the months of the year can be read here)


October - from 'The Poet's Calendar' - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

My ornaments are fruits; my garments leaves,
  Woven like cloth of gold, and crimson dyed;
I do not boast the harvesting of sheaves,
  O'er orchards and o'er vineyards I preside.
Though on the frigid Scorpion I ride,
  The dreamy air is full, and overflows
With tender memories of the summer-tide,
  And mingled voices of the doves and crows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!