Saturday 19 April 2014

Day 638: Blueberries

 


“Here, There Are Blueberries” - Mary Szybist

When I see the bright clouds, a sky empty of moon and stars,
I wonder what I am, that anyone should note me.


Here there are blueberries, what should I fear?

Here there is bread in thick slices, of whom should I be afraid?


Under the swelling clouds, we spread our blankets.
Here in this meadow, we open our baskets


to unpack blueberries, whole bowls of them,

berries not by the work of our hands, berries not by the work of our fingers.


what taste the bright world has, whole fields
without wires, the blackened moss, the clouds

 
swelling at the edges of the meadow. And for this,
I did nothing, not even wonder.


You must live for something, they say. People don’t live just to keep on living.

But here is the quince tree, a sky bright and empty.
Here there are blueberries, there is no need to note me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!