Saturday 12 April 2014

Day 631: Flirtation

 
Is there any feeling better than the entertaining of something new 
and something better, if even for a moment? 
 
Flirtation - Rita Dove
 
After all, there’s no need
to say anything

at first. An orange, peeled
and quartered, flares

like a tulip on a wedgewood plate
Anything can happen.

Outside the sun
has rolled up her rugs

and night strewn salt
across the sky. My heart

is humming a tune
I haven’t heard in years!

Quiet’s cool flesh—
let’s sniff and eat it.

There are ways
to make of the moment

a topiary
so the pleasure’s in

walking through.
 

2 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous.

    You know sometimes you read a line of someone else's poem, and think "I'd give anything to have written that"?

    That's how I feel about "An orange, peeled / and quartered, flares / like a tulip on a wedgewood plate

    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was that image that first attracted me to this poem, lovely! I know, I'm envious too! So simple yet beautiful. Love the whole feeling of the poem. :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!