Sunday 20 April 2014

Day 639: Easter Fawn


Happy Easter!


The Fawn - Mary Oliver 

Sunday morning and mellow as precious metal  
The church bells rang, but I went  
To the woods instead.

A fawn, too new  
For fear, rose from the grass  
And stood with its spots blazing,  
And knowing no way but words,  
No trick but music,  
I sang to him.

He listened.  
His small hooves struck the grass.  
Oh what is holiness?

The fawn came closer,  
Walked to my hands, to my knees.

I did not touch him.  
I only sang, and when the doe came back
Calling out to him dolefully  
And he turned and followed her into the trees,  
Still I sang,  
Not knowing how to end such a joyful text,

Until far off the bells once more tipped and tumbled  
And rang through the morning, announcing  
The going forth of the blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think! To leave a comment - comment as/sign in with your Google ID if you have one, or website or blog address, or if these don't apply, sign in as Anonymous, and leave your name if you like!